Categorized | Care, Cat, Dog, Horse, Tips

Moving Overseas – What About Domestic Pets?

The moving overseas checklist
Going to live abroad is a bit like going on holiday – except, obviously, that you’ll be spending more time abroad than any holiday, and rather than just pack essentials, you need to take everything with you, or leave it behind in storage.

And when we move abroad there’s a massive checklist of things to sort out before you board the plane. Everything from accommodation to education for school-age children and loads of other things besides – they all need to be organised prior to heading off abroad.

And when you have domestic pets, it’s another consideration – and obviously because of customs and quarantine, there will be different requirements depending on your intended destination country.

Taking pets within the European Union
If you’re transporting your pet dog or cat between one EU member state and another, the rules are fairly simple. Your pet will require a microchip before its rabies vaccination, although in certain cases if the pet was given a tattoo identification prior to 3rd July 2011 (as well as post-tattoo rabies vaccination) it shouldn’t need microchip ID. If you require any more information on microchip ID and what’s required then the UK Government’s  .gov website has full details.

Domestic pets

In addition to the microchip identification, your pet will also need rabies vaccination after the microchip is fitted, and a pet passport. The rabies vaccination needs to be carried out a minimum of time in prior to departure (check the government site for details on this). Dogs will further require a tapeworm treatment.

Once all the necessary steps have been taken and you are in receipt of the required documentation, then it’s simply a matter of checking which approved carrier and route will suit you best.

Outside the EU
This is where you’ll need to do some individual research depending on the country you’re intending to take your pet to. For instance, if you’re planning on heading to the US for instance, then the rules will vary between different states, so there may be a requirement for rabies vaccination which should in these case be administered prior to lessen any complications on arrival, the animal already having had the required vaccination.

For traveling outside the EU it’s worth looking at what a pet relocation service may be able to do for you, as a reputable provider should be familiar with the procedures and paperwork as well as the various rules and regulations.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.